What To Do When Your Car Breaks Down
Let’s face it. We have all dealt with car breakdowns in the past, and they are bound to happen again in the future – most likely when you least expect them. So here are some tips on getting through the next ordeal:
- Safely pull off the road: Pull to the right-hand side of the road when traffic will allow you to safely do so. If you have a flat tire, drive on the rim until you are in a safe place.
- Make yourself seen: Turn on your headlights, turn your wheel away from the road, and put the emergency brake on.
- Put out warning triangles: This can warn other drivers that you have a problem. Place them at least 50 yards behind your vehicle to direct traffic away from your vehicle.
- Figure out where you are: Roadside assistance will want to know exactly where you are so that they can send a tow truck to you as soon as possible. Look for street signs, highway signs with the nearest exit number, and nearby landmarks, and figure out what direction you’re heading in.
- Get AAA: With AAA, you get 5 miles free towing, plus lots of roadside assistance options, like free fuel delivery and auto lockout services, to help in these frustrating emergency situations.
- Have an emergency kit in the trunk: You should have an emergency kit in your trunk at all times, even if your car is performing perfectly. You never know when you may need it, but you will be glad that it’s there if you are ever in an emergency situation. Some essential items to have in your emergency kit include jumper cables, batteries, small tools, a tire gauge, a flashlight, a first aid kit, water, and dry food items.
- Don’t attempt a repair on your own: Unless you understand the inner workings of your car, don’t try to diagnose or repair the problem on your own. Instead, remain in your car with the doors locked and safely wait for a professional to arrive and tow your vehicle away.
- Visit the auto shop: Even if you get your vehicle started again, don’t wait to take your vehicle in for servicing. You will probably experience the same problem again if you don’t take it to a professional and find out what the cause of the problem is.
Preventing Future Problems
Make sure to keep your vehicle in optimal condition by pursuing routine preventative auto maintenance. This will help reduce the likelihood of future breakdowns and repair needs.
Tired of dealing with car breakdowns on the side of the road? Has your car stalled for the last time? Stop pouring money into the old clunker and contact us today at 888-309-1049.We will give you an instant offer and provide fast cash so you don’t have to deal with the problem anymore.